Saturday, January 01, 2011

The Top 25 Songs of 2010 (#1-15 1/2)

While you can’t count on much from this blog, you can always count on a bunch of lists being compiled at the end of the year. Couple that with a massive snow day and you’re bound to get a bunch of lists that I came up with while showering.

So here's the rest of the Top 25 Songs of 2010 (#1-15 1/2). For #16-25 go here. Be sure to let me know what I missed this past year! As always, enjoy yourself a nice little playlist here.




15 1/2. Fol Chen - "In Ruins"

This track goes out to Jonny G. The 1/2 is for the extra half of the show that I missed.

15. Jonsi - "Tornado"

This is the music that you hear when you die and go to heaven. Perhaps not coincidentally, this is also the music you hear right before you hurl yourself off a cliff.

14. Terror Pigeon Dance Revolt - "Ride Friendship"


This track goes out to Mrs. Supercomputer. I posted TPDR's 2010 album title in it's entirety ( I Love You. I Love You. I Love You and I’m in Love with You. Have an Awesome Day! Have the Best Day of Your Life!) as my FB status and Mrs. Supercomputer thought I was being affectionate online to her. Nope. Just posting an album title, because, as you know, I am a prick.

13. Wye Oak - "I Hope You Die"


The consistent, underlying flutter of woodwinds give a strong undercurrent to Wye Oak's "I Hope You Die." Eventually, the title of the song is liberatingly uttered in the last line of the song, and you realize the rest of the song has been building up to this point. It's weird, but for a song entitled "I Hope You Die", it's incredibly romantic and touching.

12. Vampire Weekend - "Diplomat's Son"

What I love about Vampire Weekend is that everyone has a wildly different opinion on what the best song is on their albums. And frankly, it's hard to argue with them. I chose "Diplomat's Son" due to its subtleties and general low-keyness. Vampire Weekend can be overwhelming at times. "Diplomat's Son" is incredible refreshing on an otherwise frenetic album.

11. Cee Lo Green - "Fuck You"


Well that should put to bed the whole Gnarls Barkley one-hit wonder talk. Much like you never turned off "Crazy", you certainly didn't switch away once you heard the first three piano chords of "Fuck You." The thing is, even without the novelty of the swearing in the title and chorus, it's an amazing R&B soul song. And if a horribly auto-tuned Gwyneth Paltrow on Glee can't ruin this song for me, nothing can. (Seriously, fuck Glee).

10. Arcade Fire - "The Sprawl II"


This is the musical and emotional capper for an album that really must be listened to in its entirety. Regine rules.

9. Tallest Man on Earth - "King of Spain"


For all the talk about how technology has been irreparably fused with music, many of these songs could have been written and recorded any time in the past 50 years. And with Tallest Man on Earth, it could be 70 or 80 years. It's not a "retro" feel so much as a "ubiquitous" feel.

8. The Black Keys - "Everlasting Light"

This is some fucking awesome shit. I defy you to listen to this song and not think it's awesome.

7. Yeasayer - "Ambling Alp"

Having come out so early in 2010, I had sort of forgotten about Yeasayer as a Best of 2010 candidate. My bad. "Ambling Alp" goes well with driving, good times, bad times, and defiant times.

6. Gorillaz - "On Melancholy Hill"

Much like "Diplomat's Son" for Vampire Weekend, the Gorillaz's "On Melancholy Hill" is a nice respite from the DJ-esque conscious excess of the album.

5. Broken Bells - "The High Road"

This is probably the first track I loved in 2010. Pretty much immediately. We'll probably be revisiting this in the Albums of 2010 post, but Danger Mouse is the most prolific music producer working today.

4. Menomena - "Taos"

This is the most kickass song to ever feature the saxophone. Sorry Clarence Clemens.

3. Kanye West - "Runaway"

The most compelling song from the year's most compelling album. It's tough to separate the song from the song's backstory. We're all familiar with the VMA Taylor Swift - Kanye West incident where Kanye rushed up on stage and RUINED THIS POOR WHITE GIRL'S LIFE. SHE'S A PRECIOUS FLOWER. Then Kanye debuts "Runaway" the following year at the VMAs minutes after Taylor Swift gives some sorry-ass melodramatic forgiveness-soliloquy in the form of a song she wrote right after John Mayer dumped her (seriously, Taylor Swift is shit). Kanye, of course, crushes with "Runaway".




2. Sharon Van Etten - "Love More"


Here's a list, in no particular order, of the five pieces of media that turn me into a sobbing, blubbering mess:

* The opening montage of Up.
* The final scene in Toy Story 3.
* The scene in Toy Story 2 where Jesse the Cowgirl gets left at at the dump.
* The scene in Millions where the kid meets his mother's apparition by the railroad tracks.
* Sharon Van Etten's "Love More"

1. The National - "Bloodbuzz Ohio"


Not only does "Bloodbuzz Ohio" have the finest lyrics of the year, it's tough to choose what's actually the best line from the song:

I still owe money to the money to the money I owe / I never thought about love when I thought about home.

or

I was carried to Ohio in a swarm of bees / I never married, but Ohio don't remember me.

It's simple and devastating the way Bon Iver was a couple years ago. I'd say from the moment I first heard this song, it was one of my favorites ever and certainly of 2010.

Bonus Kanye West section!

Best unreleased track:
Kanye West - "Never See Me Again"

The story goes that this was recorded essentially on the fly a week after the VMAs incident, in which in my opinion, the only thing Kanye did wrong was that he wasn't effusive enough in just how much Taylor Swift sucks. It's kind of a shame this wasn't properly recorded and produced. But at least it got leaked, even if in the lo-fi quality heard here.



Best cover of Kanye West's "Runaway": Wonder Bear
You know you produced an interesting song when it's on a end-of-year compredium three times.



Best cover of Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You": William Shatner



It's tough to decide which will be the most covered song from 2010: either West's "Runaway" or Cee Lo Green's "Fuck You." I have a feeling every one who plays music and has even a teensy bit of irony will be playing these in coffee shops ad-nausium in the next few years.

1 comment:

adam said...

I think my favorite song of the year was "the sprawl ii." But I think my favorite album of the year lines up with your favorite song - though I'd have a tough time choosing between Arcade Fire and the National for favorite album.