Saturday, December 27, 2008

BCS Rankings of Top 25 Songs

Now remember, the BCS is only responsible for determining the top two songs. Any other BCS-related consequence is not the fault of the Bowl Commission or any of the BCS formulae.

25. "Sing the Changes" - Sing the Changes
24. "Get Your Head Around It" - Headlights
23. "Modern Guilt" - Beck
22. "Foux du Fafa" - Flight on the Conchords
21. "God Loves You the Best" - Earlimart
20. "Death by Chocolate" - Sia
19. "Turning the Gun on Myself" - Teddy Thompson
18. "Cath ..." - Deathcab For Cutie
17. "Ghost Under Rocks" - Ra Ra Riot
16. "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" - She & Him
15. "Strange Overtones" - David Byrne and Brian Eno
14. "Connjur" - School of Seven Bells
13. "Tear Down the House" - The Avett Brothers
12. "Lost Coastlines" - Okkervil River
11. "Oxford Comma" - Vampire Weekend
10. "My Only Offer" - Mates of State
9. "Inní Mér Syngur Vitleysingur" - Sigur Rós
8. "Something's Not Right With Me" - Cold War Kids
7. "Face to Face on High Plains" - School of Seven Bells
6. "Halfway Home" - TV on the Radio
5. "Dancing Choose" - TV on the Radio
4. "White Winter Hymnal" - Fleet Foxes
3. "Time to Pretend" - MGMT
2. "Flume" - Bon Iver
1. "Skinny Love" - Bon Iver

Frankly, we could have littered this entire list with Bon Iver and TVOTR songs, which should give you insight on the competition for DMS's Album of the Year. Speaking of which, we had mentioned that we probably wouldn't be doing it this year, but due to Amazon.com's incredible year-end $5 album offer, we loaded up on music this week and have been plowing through the best of it to bring the highly anticipated AOTY post.

We actually thought this was a great year for songs. It's a much deeper list than last year's.

It was difficult to pick which of the Bon Iver tunes to put at #1, but the deal-sealer was the lyrics:

I told you to be patient
I told you to be fine
I told you to be balanced
I told you to be kind
Now all your love is wasted
Then who the hell was I?
Now I'm breaking at the britches
And at the end of all your lines

Bon Iver - "Skinny Love"

3 comments:

k said...

i've probably listened to that bon iver song about 1,000 times. and the fleet foxes one, too.

Adam said...

So, while I have definitely caught on with TVOR, I haven't been able to get into Bon Iver or Fleet Foxes. Boring.

I agree with all the other ones on here I've actually heard (Cold War Kids, Sigur Ros, Ra Ra Riot, Beck, Bryne/Eno).

I'd add some Portishead ("The Rip" and "Magic Doors"), a couple more Sigur Ros maybe ("Festival" perhaps - though you did get the best one), and one of my favorites from "Dear Science" is probably "Family Tree."

And what about "Viva la Vida"? Just kidding. Though I do enjoy their new cd, that's the worst song. I think it belongs as background music for a Jazzercize video or something.

gk said...

On NPR's all songs considered, regarding the Coldplay album, one of the commentators said she didn't like "music that couldn't hurt a fly." I thought that was a brilliant remark about Coldplay's career arc.