- Wait, let's just see if you can guess whose is whose.
____ _____'s Top Ten
1. Dancing Queen ABBA
2. Blue Bayou Roy Orbison
3. Take a Chance On Me ABBA
4. If We Make It Through December Merle Haggard
5. As Time Goes By Dooley Wilson
6. Good Vibrations The Beach Boys
7. What A Wonderful World Louis Armstrong
8. I've Got You Under My Skin Frank Sinatra
9. Sweet Caroline Neil Diamond
10. Smoke Gets In Your Eyes The Platter
1. Ready or Not Fugees
2. What's Going On Marvin Gaye
3. I'm On Fire Bruce Spingsteen
4. Gimme Shelter Rolling Stones
5. Sinnerman Nina Simone
6. Touch the Sky Kanye West
7. You'd Be So Easy to Love Frank Sinatra
8. Think Aretha Franklin
9. City of Blinding Lights U2
10. Yes We Can will.i.am
OK, now take a look and just see if you can guess which candidate belongs to which list. Go ahead and try. (Psst: I'll give you a hint, John McCain's never heard of the Fugees I think it's pretty fair to assume).
Yes, if you guessed McCain as List #1, you'd be right. Let's just take a look at McCain's list first. I know it doesn't really need to be stated, but two ABBA songs? And this is from a guy trying to get the conservative base on his side? And come on, you could have picked just one song made post 1970? Just one? Aren't you trying to prove you're not old? You could have even had one of your younger surrogates pick it for you. You really should have at least chosen a Brittney Spears song. Who does ABBA get you? The older gay Republican votes? Roy Orbison? Could you be any older?
The contrast is about as clear as it gets when you look at Obama's list. The Fugees. Kanye West. U2. Bruce. Pretty damn awesome list. By the way, what's the over/under on the number of Obama artists that John McCain recognizes? I'm going to say five.
(Ed. note: Some would argue that a candidate's music picks has no bearing on who you should vote for. Normally we would agree. But normally a presidential candidate would not have AB-fucking-BA be gold and bronze on their list.)