Saturday, April 05, 2008

A Special Moment With My Son



Every night, when I put my son to sleep, we share a special moment. There's a bond between a father and son that cannot really be replicated. There's something unique about that bond. And the moment just when he's about to drift off into sleep is so tender and so sweet that I say a little mantra to myself each night I have the opportunity. It's sort of a way of reminding me of what a truly special moment that is.

I look upon his face when he's just about to nod off. I gently place him in his crib and tuck him in. And just as I let go of him for the last time of the evening, staring at his now shut eyes, I repeat the following little mantra in my head:

"OH GOD!!!! PLEASE STAY ASLEEP!!!!! DON'TWAKEUPDON'TWAKEUPDON'T WAKE UP!!!!!! JUST SLEEP FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, GO! TO! SLEEP! I'LL DO ANYTHING YOU WANT! ANYTHING! JUST FOR EVERYTHING GOOD AND HOLY IN THIS EARTH STAY ASLEEP!!!!!

DON'T MOVE! DON'T MOVE! OH SHIT! STOP SCRATCHING AT YOUR FACE! PLEASE! STOPIT! STOPIT! AAAHHHHH! HE'S WAKING UP!!!! HERE! TAKE THIS PACIFIER!!! OH DEAR LORD PLEASE TAKE THE PACIFIER!!!!! PLEAAAASSE!!!

YES!! THERE YOU GO! SUCK ON THAT PACI!!!!! CALM DOWN! CALM DOWN!!!! THAT'S IT!!! YES!!!! HE'S ASLEEP!!!! YES!!!! OH THANK YOU JESUS OF NAZARETH!!!! HE'S FINALLY ASLEEP!!!! YEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And with that, the little angel drifts off to dream of whatever beautiful babies dream about.

I just wanted to share this little piece of prose with all of you. Thank you.

3 comments:

Kendra said...

Yeah, for a minute there I thought you were giving us more kittens.... I was about to throw up in my mouth a little. Thanks for the all-caps punchline. :)

Adam said...

Ah yes, I know this o so holy prayer, all too well. I hope your prayers are answered.

gk said...

They weren't the night of this post.