A month ago we released a preliminary list of the rankings for the top 25 songs of the year. Releasing a preliminary like that serves the purpose of allowing all the songs to posture for the final push of the season. Between then and now we've had a lot of jostling of position and a few late-comers into the fray (don't worry, The Fray didn't make it).
Before we release the final list, let it be known that the top 4 spots were all very close. Nothing against #5 but the top 4 all could stake a claim for number 1. See, this is why there are all these advocates of a playoff system, perhaps the +1 model.
But enough about the pedagogical process. Here's the Top
- "Fake Empire" - The National
- "Wet and Rusting" - Menomena
- "23" - Blonde Redhead
- "Keep the Car Running" - Arcade Fire
- "Paper Planes" - M.I.A.
- "Scythian Empire" - Andrew Bird (mp3)
- "Heart it Races" - Architecture in Helsinki
- "Intervention" - Arcade Fire
- "I Feel it All" - Feist
- "The Underdog" - Spoon
- "Paris is Burning" - St. Vincent
- "Truck" - The Octopus Project (mp3)
- "Bees Bein' Strugglin" - The Octopus Project
- "Accident and Emergency" - Patrick Wolf
- "Bros" - Panda Bear
- "Butterfly Nets" - Bishop Allen
- "Relief Next to Me" - Tegan & Sara (mp3)
- "Now, Now" - St. Vincent
- "Introduction" - Voxtrot (mp3)
- "The Ivori Palms" - Peter and the Wolf
- "Nude" - Radiohead
- "Sleeping Lessons" - The Shins
- "All My Friends" - LCD Soundsystem
- "Angel in the Snow" - Elliott Smith
- "Tonight I Have to Leave It" - Shout Out Louds
"Cherry Bomb" - Spoon
"Mother of Pearl" - Nellie McKay
"No Cars Go" - Arcade Fire
"Slow Show" - The National
"Dashboard" - Modest Mouse
"Black Blizzard / Red Umbrella " The Octopus Project
"Phantom Limb" - The Shins
"The Magic Position" - Patrick Wolf
"Bodysnatchers" - Radiohead
"My Moon / My Man" - Feist
Others receiving votes:
"Rain" - Bishop Allen
"Don't Make Me a Target" - Spoon
"Hijomoland" - Sigur Ros
"Spitting Venom" - Modest Mouse
"Rehab" - Amy Winehouse
"Jesus Saves, I Spend" - St. Vincent
"Apocalypse Song" - St. Vincent
"Boy With the Coin" - Iron & Wine
"Impossible Germany" - Wilco
"Heretics" - Andrew Bird
Most Annoying tracks of the year:
1. "D.A.N.C.E." - Justice
It gets its own category:
1. "Atlas" - Battles
Yes, it was a tenuous stay in the top 25 with no less than 10 tracks dropping out. But the big news has to be "Fake Empire"'s final push to the #1 spot. It had been on the outside, looking in at "23" and "Wet and Rusting" for months. But as those two tracks peaked earlier in the year, "Fake Empire" finally broke through when it mattered most: a real clutch job.
The biggest jump was Andrew Bird's "Scythian Empire," going from unranked to #6 in the span of a month. The other big jumper was Architecture in Helsinki's "Heart it Races," however that was a function of not realizing it was a 2007 release. The biggest drop was Radiohead's "Bodysnatchers," from #7 to unranked. It's tough to say why exactly. It's a really cool song.
One other observation without giving away too much for the long awaited Albums of the Year post: it was really tough to pare down the number of St. Vincent tracks. In fact, if we were really being honest, we might have a few more of her tracks in here. She's fantastic.
Until then, post your favorite tracks of the year. Peace.