Saturday, November 10, 2007

What is the Most Significant Event in Our Lifetime?


So November 9th came and went with no arrival, so we're still in a holding pattern. I was a little disappointed because it would have been cool to have a birthday on the same day that the Berlin Wall came down, 11/9. Mother-in-Law suggested in that case we could make the middle name "Berlin," which I would be totally up (down?) for.

Anyway, it got me thinking, even though I don't think I fully comprehend the magnitude of the event, I do realize that it was probably the most significant event of my ever-increasing lifetime (and presumably, most of my loyal readers' lifetimes). Obviously it had more meaning to those who lived through the majority of the Cold War and Rocky IV.

So I got to wondering: is it the most significant event in my/our lifetime? Here are some candidates:

-- November 9, 1989 - The disbanding of the Soviet Union, the fall of the Berlin Wall.

-- September 11, 2001 - Terrorists crash two hijacked commuter planes into the Twin Towers.

-- The 2000 Election - Who doesn't play the "what if?" game when it comes to this event? As in, "what if the intended result actually happened?"

-- The advent of the Internet -- This one is kind of cheating and maybe doesn't belong as it wasn't a single event, but it did result in a seachange of the way we do life.

-- Hurricane Katrina - Exposed a side of the U.S. we didn't know existed.

-- The Iraq War/Occupation - This one might take a generation to sort out the consequences.

What others am I missing? I'd still vote for 11/9. But what other significant global or U.S. events have taken place in our lifetime?

Please, the comments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter jelly time.