Sunday, October 21, 2007

Well That Was Fun

Oh wait. No it wasn't.

Actually I'm writing this in the bottom of the 3rd inning. The Indians are only down by two runs, but I'm so confident of the Indians' futility ever since Game 4, I'm sure those two runs will stand up.

Even with hours to go, I'm already writing the obit on the Indians' season. They simply rolled over and died like I didn't think was possible in Baseball. In Football and Basketball I could see how a team could be deflated emotionally or physically, but in baseball I don't think I've ever seen a team just up and call it quits like the Indians did this series.

Even when the Yankees had the greatest choke of all time in 2004, you can't really say they quit. The games were close and the Red Sox had a great deal of luck in that outcome. There was no luck involved here. Ever since the 7 run outburst in Game 4, the Indians have just been hacking at the ball, I guess just assuming that good things will happen.

Red Sox just scored again. Three-zip.

Anyway, as I was saying, baseball teams don't usually give up as a collective. It takes nine individuals to construct a batting order, and it's bizarre that all nine would just fall asleep like this.

And the Indians best two pitchers, their supposed aces, the one-two punch just flat out laid an egg.

Anyway, I'm going to go ahead and publish this post, here in the 4th inning, because I'm that certain of the inevitable Indians' demise.

I should end the season positively: they are a young team who have most of their best players locked up for a while and will probably be the second-best team in the American League for the next few years. So thanks for the memories Tribe, and of course, bringing down the Yankees is always good for a laugh. Until next season....

No comments: