Friday, April 27, 2007

MP3 of the Week : "It's Getting Drafty" Edition
I don't expect you to understand. Why does anyone get excited about NFL football in April? It's 12 hours of no-name college players being selected, 80% of which will never have an appreciable impact on the NFL aside from gobbling up salary cap. Each team is allotted (and takes) 15 damn minutes to make a selection they knew they would make after 30 seconds. That means you get a grand total of about four picks every hour. Since I'm a Math teacher, I can tell you that you can watch the draft for three freaking hours and watch a total of twelve selections. Meanwhile you're blasted with images and sound bytes of Chris Berman and Mel Kiper. It takes forever. It's insignificant in the grand scheme of things. So it's stupid to watch, right?
Well, screw you. Because the Browns always have a high pick, this is like our version of a Super Bowl. It's exciting to watch, even if in the back of my mind it's only exciting to see what player's career will be derailed before it even starts due to getting drafted by the Browns. Our victim this year...?
Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma?


Joe Thomas, LT, Wisconsin?

Or Mega-hunk Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame?


Personally, I have no preference for the Browns to pick any of these guys. It doesn't matter. I'm resigned to it. But I still enjoy the hell out of the NFL Draft. It's the only day of the year where there's even a glimmer of hope for the Browns.

-----------------------------------------------

This week's mp3 is by Peter and the Wolf. He (by the way, I realise it's confusing when I post the name of what seems like a band and then call it a "him" or a "her," singular. I'm sorry. I truly am.) is releasing an LP sometime soon from what I hear. There are few artists who generate more buzz in my mind. His album Lightness hints at his potential. It's very hit-or-miss, much like (dare I say?) Sufjan's early work. He has several downloads on his website, but instead I'll post an alternate, live version of Silent Movies. It was recorded at one of those non-SXSW SXSW shows.

Peter and the Wolf - "Silent Movies (live at Daytrotter)"

1 comment:

Ash said...

wow. joe thomas AND brady quinn. throw in jamal lewis, kevin winslow, braylon edwards. if the browns screw THIS up, then it'll be time for you to take addy and steph to dc where we can teach addy how to wear the red and gold.