Sunday, December 10, 2006

5 Songs That I'm Ashamed That I Like

Call it the 94.7 list if you will, but we all have songs that we like and are afraid to tell anyone. I'm so afraid to let it be known that I like the following songs, I'm willing to post them on the Internet for all to see.

5. The Fray, "How to Save a Life." It should be noted that two of the songs on this list were featured on Scrubs, thereby altering my initial opinion of the song. This is one of them. Nothing like sappy piano ballads adored by fourteen year olds to get me all sentimental.



4. Chumbawumba, "I Get Knocked Down."



"He drinks a whisky drink

He drinks a vodka drink

He drinks a lager drink

He drinks a cider drink"

A colleague of mine is an actual. Chumbawumba. Fan. She is, seriously. She discussed with me at length about their various albums (they have albums?). She's insane.

Anyway, it drives Mrs. Supercomputer batty that I like this song. Whenever we fight she'll hear this song on the radio, and it's pretty tough to stay mad at someone who's singing the words, "pissing the night away...." with emotion.

(Side note: this song was actually "featured" on Scrubs as well. J.D.'s brain threatens to yell "I get knocked down! But I get up again! You ain't never gonna keep me down!" if J.D. doesn't do something it wants.)






3. Finger Eleven, "One Thing." The only thing I hate worse that modern rock sap-bands are bands that do the whole "Noun-Number" thing. Seriously, it pisses me off. Well, Finger Eleven managed to achieve both with "One Thing."

This was the other Scrubs introduction. Never has there been such a mystery of what a singular obstacle was since what ever "that" was that Meatloaf wouldn't do.





2. Goo Goo Dolls, "Name." This one gets bonus points because I actually called in to request this song on the radio when I was like 13 or something. In my defense, however, this was before I or anyone else knew that they would become the Wussiest Band of All Time. Although with a name like "Goo Goo Dolls" I think we all should have known regardless. But the call was to 101X, not 94.7, so I still have some street cred left, right?

Anyway, I came real close to buying their album, but I just didn't for whatever reason. Thankfully, that'll save me some face. But it still doesn't change the fact that I ashamedly like this song.

I should also note that I tried really hard to learn this song on guitar, but could never get that alternately-tuned slide part down just right. How awesome would I be if I covered this song at a coffee shop? I think I'd be the first person ever to get booed off stage at "The Hideout."



1. Kelly Clarkson, "Since U Been Gone." OK here's the thing: I'm not at all ashamed about liking - nay - loving this song. I mean, c'mon, this song absolutely rocks. Kelly Clarkson is pissed about U and what better way to get out her frustration with U than crooning "you had your chance, you blew it ... shut your mouth I just can't take it again and again and again." Not since Trent Reznor's dog died has such vitriol been unleashed on the American public.

Admit it, when you're flipping the radio and this song comes on, you stay. And you listen. And you start singing.

"I'm so moving on, yea-yeah!"




So come on guys, come clean. It's time to break down and admit enjoyment of songs that would normally get you ostracised. There's no judgment here at Dear Mr. Supercomputer.

2 comments:

Ash said...

Okay, here we go, and again, no judging! I like to be open with a close friend about songs I love, though am ashamed to admit. All admissions are qualified of course.

5. Long Day - Matchbox 20

I was hooked on this song the first time I heard it. I remember I was in high school and I was listening to the radio, and once I heard it, I had to know the band's name! So they said Matchbox 20, and I remember writing "M20" on the edge of my paper. I do believe that while very cheesy, M20 has incredible melodies.

4. Faith - Limp Bizkit

Yes, a George Michael cover, but the Limp Bizkits got it down right. The intro is stellar. You really can't argue with that. The pre-chorus gets you ready for the full-throttle chorus. And given this came out during high school, I felt very cool and manly preparing and then letting out at the top of my lungs, when alone, Durst's "GET THE F@&K UP" ending!

3. Sexyback - Justin Timberlake

No doubt my favorite JT song. You have to give the man props -- he knows how to make people dance. I really do love this song, almost unashamedly. But there's a little bit of shame :o)

2. Soldier - Destiny's Child

I heard this phat track in Ecuador, and I honestly (see how open I am?) left my house and went straight to the Tower Records to buy this record. (Now I feel like I'm being too open). The rest of the album was pretty cheesy, but that song is solid.

1. La La - Ashlee Simpson

So here's why -- when I first arrived to Quito, Ecuador, it was the first time I ever had access to cable! So I finally got to see what MTV is feeding Latin America: sure enough, MTV Latin America was featuring Ashlee Simpson's LA LA song, and I got hooked. It came on every time I was in Quito (count it, four times). So it has a very understandable positive connotation for me. And check out the lyrics of the chorus: "You make me wanna la la, in the kitchen on the floor, I'll be a french maid, when you meet me at the door, I'm like an alley cat, drink the milk up, I want more, you make me wanna, you make me wanna . . . scream" She's pretty attractive in the video, I mean, some tell me that she is. Hopefully everyone knows what "la la" refers to . .

Great topic!

gk said...

So Ash, this is what it feels like to lay your heart bare and get nothing, NOTHING in return.

I must say your list tops mine in terms of "more embarassing." Limp Bizkit, JT, and Ashlee Simpson is like ultimate triumverate of crap.

Great list though.