Friday, September 08, 2006

"He's the Zissou."

Tonight I'm continuing with the Wes Anderson motif, choosing The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou. While not as brilliant and funny as The Royal Tenenbaums, as thought provoking as Rushmore, or as charming as Bottle Rocket, Zissou is terribly underrated as far as Wes Anderson films go. I think it's simply because it was his first independent film. Kind of like how some people were disappointed by Death Cab for Cutie's Plans, conveniently ignoring the fact that it's better than almost all of their independent albums.

I would maintain the scene with the Jaguar Shark is probably the finest one he's ever shot.

And in honor of Royal Tenenbaums, here's a sampling of my favorite Gene Hackman as Royal Tenenbaum quotes:

Chaz: “What are you doing? You’re on my team?”
Royal: “There are no teams!” (*shoots son*)

“This is my adopted daughter, Margot Tenenbaum.”

Chaz: “Did you at least feel the characters were well developed?”
Royal: “What characters? It’s a bunch of little kids running around in an animal costume.”

“I’ve missed the hell out of you my darlings.”

“I’m sorry for your loss. Your mother was a terribly attractive woman.”

“Come on, let’s shag ass.”

“Oh that’s right, we’ve got another body buried here.”

“Hell of a damn grave. Wish it were mine.”

“I’m not talking about dance lessons. I’m talking about putting a brick through the other guy’s windshield. I’m talking about taking it out and chopping it up.”

4 comments:

Steph said...

Charlie Brown music in the background at an old-fashioned ice cream parlor...

Margot: "You probably don't even know my middle name."

Royal: "That's a trick question. You don't have a middle name."

M: "Helen."

JO said...

Geoff, I thought it before, but it is now definately confirmed, you are very strange.

Erin said...

I've been trying to incorporate the phrase "Let's shag ass" into my everyday life since first seeing the RT several years ago. Maybe I can do it, with a little help from my friends the Kralls...

Kendra said...

"That's the last time you put a knife in me!"